Awareness of our environment and how we impact upon it has always been important to us. So here’s a list of things we do to try and ensure that your enjoyment has a positive impact or at the least a minimal negative impact:
- Recycling – Because we hire a private waste & recycling company (who don’t mind navigating the hill) we can deal with our used glass in an earth-conscious way.
- Local – We source much of our produce from independent and local suppliers, including butchers, cheese producers, bakers and vegetable suppliers.
- Plants – We grow most of our own herbs – some are in the beds next to the bar! From about the end of May through to the end of September all the flowers you see in the vases on the tables are from our garden. We plant flowers that attract and support bees.
- Clean – Our sewage is treated in our biodigester, which works like an artificial reed bed, treating the sewage naturally and putting clean water back into the river.
- Working with neighbours – We raise money every year for our local nature reserves Eastwood Farm and Troopers Hill. See our Community page for more details.